Chronic venous insufficiency happens when veins don’t work properly. This can cause your legs to swell up after standing for a while. Your blood seems to be backing up in the veins instead of moving forward.
People with chronic venous insufficiency are at risk for more serious problems, including high blood pressure, skin problems, and blood clots.
What Causes It?
You are more likely to have this condition if you:
- Are overweight
- Are pregnant
- Have a family history of the problem
- Had damage to your leg due to injury, surgery, or previous blood clots
Other reasons for chronic venous insufficiency include:
- Sitting or standing for long periods
- High blood pressure in the leg veins over time,
- owing to prolonged sitting or standing
- Inadequate exercise
- Smoking is a common cause.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
Is There Any Way To Treat This?
Yes, there is! Treatment may include:
- Increasing circulation in your leg veins. Keeping your legs elevated (elevated) can help reduce swelling and boost blood flow. Wearing compression stockings might also assist. Regular activity might also help improve blood flow.
- Medicines. Compression therapy alone can help heal leg ulcers by increasing blood flow throughout the vessels. Aspirin and other medicines that stimulate blood flow might be used to aid in the healing of leg ulcers. Diuretics are not widely used in the treatment of edema. However, if other factors such as heart failure or kidney disease contribute to the swelling, they may be utilized.
- Endovenous laser ablation or radiofrequency ablation (RFA). Specialists accomplish this by putting heat directly into the diseased vein with a tube (catheter). The vein is sealed as a result. The amount of blood in the leg decreases when the vein is closed. Overall, blood flow improves.
- Sclerotherapy. A large dye is injected into the affected veins. The chemical causes scarring in the veins, preventing them from transporting blood. Blood returns to the heart through other vessels as a result of this procedure. Vein doctors perform this procedure with professionalism and accuracy obtaining amazing results.
The Solution Is Right Here
Exactly at the Center for Advanced Vein Care! Our vein doctors can provide you with consultation and treatment for your vein condition, so you can get back to fully living your life.
If you’ve been experiencing symptoms like leg pain or swelling in the legs that limit what you do daily, then it’s time to take action before these conditions worsen.
We offer consultations to help determine if there is an underlying cause of any symptoms that could lead to more serious problems later on down the road without proper diagnosis and care now. You won’t find a better place to take care of your veins than the Center for Advanced Vein Care.